SEOmoz had a great post highlighting 7 very reasons why your search engine traffic sucks. While this will not change the face of the SEO world, I think it should be an interesting read for someone who wants to learn the basics of SEO.
I’m just going to mention these 7 reasons and you can read the original post should you want to learn more about one particular topic.
- You just launched your website and you haven’t established a certain level of trust with search engines yet
- You have poor (non unique) or very little content
- Search engines can’t access your content (ie. you have session IDs, you use flash, etc…)
- You have duplicate content
- You used black-hat SEO tricks such as reciprocal linking schemes, hidden text….
- You’ve ignored the basics: meta tags, static URL, content-rich pages
- You are targeting the wrong keywords
Rand Fish explains this in more detail so check out his post for more info.