Look at this great experiment and see how shapes are formed depending on the sound. That is pretty amazing. Thank you OpenCulture for this great finding!
Parking lot solar system
The Envision Solar Grove is a highly customizable, aesthetically-designed, photovoltaic-integratedÂ parking lot solarÂ system. Originally designed for Kyocera Solar, the simple elegance of the Solar Grove lends itself to a variety of surroundings and terrain that could otherwise prove challenging to more standard designs.
The design is based on a Â graceful analogy, known as “biomimicry” â€” just as a citrus grove absorbs sunlight to produce food, a Solar Grove absorbs sunlight and produces energy. The language of the analogy continuesâ€”the frame and modules of the Solar Tree become its â€œcanopy,â€ the support structure becomes the â€œlimbsâ€ and â€œtrunk,â€ while the base foundation and wiring beneath the earth is known as the â€œtaproot.â€
The Envision Solar Grove can be sized and positioned to meet the needs of the facility, and is particularly useful in sloping parking lots or lining curved edges. The single support column per tree allows for unhindered maneuverability about the parking area. Unique heavy-duty light fixtures turn on automatically at dusk and shine up toward the canopy, which illuminates the parking area for nighttime safety. Eight translucent solar modules, allow light to pass up through the tree to create another visually appealing sight. During the day, these translucent models allow dappled sunlight to pass through to the ground â€”Â a bit like leaves on a real tree would allow.
17 Tools For Your Website You Can’t Miss
There is some amazing stuff out there on the Webâ€“resources, tools, tricks, and tips. Problem is you spend so much of your time just keeping up with new technologies – learning, playing â€“ and this doesnâ€™t leave much time to go hunting for the latest and greatest tool, or for a better way of doing things. I’ve made this list to make your life easier.
- CSS Typeset – Interactive CSS generator
- Open Source Directory – An archive of the Webâ€™s best Open Source software, applications and references
- .htaccess Creator – Online tool to create .htaccess files
- Pipe Bytes – Send files of any size through any Web browser. No software to install
- Dummy Text Generator – Generate text by number of paragraphs, words, bytes or lists
- FileZilla – Free FTP client and FTP server
- Font Sizer – Let visitors change the font size on your site. XHTML, CSS, and PHP source available
- Recaptcha – Captcha helps prevent automated abuse of your site, ensuring only humans perform certain actions; free
- Web Site Thumbnails – Get thumbnails of any Web site
- RSS Best Design Practices and Icons – All things RSS including free icons
- Convert HTML to RSS – Generate an RSS feed for almost any Web page
- Convert RSS to HTML – Creates a widget displaying a specific RSS feed in HTML
- Free PDF online conversion – Converts various files (DOC, PUB, RTF, XLS, PPT, HTML, JPG, PNG, BMP, TIFF, WMF, EMF, GIF etc.), to PDF online, then e-mails you the PDF
- Web 2 PDF – Allow your visitors to create PDFs of any Web page
- 100 High Quality and Free WordPress Themes
- Feed Journal – The next generation newspaper, FeedJournal turns your RSS feeds into a newspaper formatted PDF so you can print it out and read it anywhere – free
By connecting his cellphone with his Twitter account, this guy is able to turn his lights on/off. Pretty cool isn’t it. One question remains though: why use your cellphone to turn off your lights when you can just get up and switch off the light? Ok, ok, I get it. The result doesn’t matter; what matters is that you can do it.
The Puke Flashlight
No, it’s not a rave toy gone horribly wrong, it’s another spooky tool making its way into the hands of law enforcement and the military. Designed as one of a growing body of non-lethal incapacitating devices, the flashlight uses ultra bright, rapidly pulsating LEDs to first temporarily blind and then induce nausea and sometimes vomiting. The pulses quickly change color and duration, which can cause psychophysical effects in many people (although to what extent varies significantly). The same effect is sometimes inadvertently seen by helicopter pilots when sunlight rapidly flashes through their rotors, disorienting them in mid-flight. The flashlight has obvious downsidesâ€”the victim must be in front of the light and must not think quickly enough to look awayâ€”but is a promising tool for non-violent enforcement.
How to make an inexpensive multi-touch pad
The self-built contraption took the former fighter pilot five years to build and perfect – and yesterday he gave it its maiden flight.
Stepping out of an aircraft at 7,500ft, Rossy unfolded the 10ft rigid wings strapped to his back as he plummeted earthwards.
Passing from freefall into a gentle glide, he triggered the four jet turbines and accelerated to 190mph above the mountaintops.
With his first big test under his belt, Rossy, 48, is ready for bigger challenges: he plans to cross the English Channel later this year, before attempting to fly through the Grand Canyon.
So far, Rossy and his sponsors have poured more than $240,000 and countless hours into building the device.
Europeans just made a new usage of this tool created in the 4th millenium BC, the wheel. It’s hard to explain what Magic Wheel really is. I guess it’s easier to just watch this video and visit the company’s website.
Microsoft Worldwide Telescope
Microsoft released today what you may call a “space version of Google earth”, a free software application called WorldWide Telescope that allows everyone from space novices to astronomy professors to easily explore galaxies, star systems and distant planets.
The WorldWide Telescope stitches together 12 terabytes (the data equivalent of 2.6 billion pages of text) of pictures from sources including the Hubble Space Telescope, the Chandra X-Ray Observatory Center and the Spitzer Space Telescope.
The experience is similar to playing a video game, allowing you to zoom in and out of galaxies that are thousands of light years away. It allows seamless viewing of far-away star systems and rarely-seen space dust in breathtaking clarity.
The software allows users to develop their own guided tours of the universe to share with others or take part a guided tour created by astronomy experts.
Download it here.
Free Conference Call Service
I totally endorse InstantConference.com for their free conference call services. Here is why I think they’re the best:
- It’s free
- Free individual call recordings (my favorite feature)
- Up to 150 participants for 6 hours each call
- No reservation required
- Multiple accounts for each dial-in number
- Customer service support
- Convenient online account management tools
- Post conference summary reports
- Use anytime 24/7